Pages

Saturday 28 January 2012

The Blind Assassin - thoughts from page 159


My main feeling on The Blind Assassin so far is that reading it straight after Why Did I Ever was a terrible mistake. To go from such sharp, concise prose to this wordy, meandering, slow-boil of a book is not exactly sitting well with me so far.

Two weeks in, and I don't give a hoot about Laura Chase and her vague notions of ownership or her tedious affair with a bit of rough. I don't care that Iris is old and alone. And I'm really really not interested in the blind assassin novel-within-a-novel-set-on-a-distant-planet.

But, while life's too short to sit through bad movies and books, I'm pretty sure a tipping point is just around the corner so I'm going to persevere. After all, Sian loved it, the Booker judges loved it and everyone on GoodReads seems to love it too. Come on, Atwood. Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment